Friday, March 23, 2007

Makarora to Haast

First let me explain that email was not available last night and tonight the system will not allow uploading of photos. Tomorrow night in Franz Josef facilities are supposed to be better and I will catch up Sunday sometime with the photos and preveous days story.

Today was another spectacular day going throught the rain forest. The Suiside hill was pretty steep but we were going down it. I applied the drag brake prety well to the max and used bioth caliper brakes to control the descent on this curvy piece of road. I had no time to take my hands off the brakes to take a picture. The other day I used my chin to click the picture on the way down but I didn't get things ready in time to do that today, besides I was not sitting in a low position using my body to catch some wind and help slow down.

The problem with any photo in this area is that the views are so large that a camera can not possibly take it all in. We stopped at several falls, well more like catracts but pretty never the less. The river valleys are wide and as always filled with rounded stones as show in one photo.

The climb up to the top of the pass was not a steady climb but a bit down and more up following the river.

Everyone made the whole ride without a lot of trouble today even thought there was a stiff west wind in our face for the last 15 km. We are now on the Tasman Sea between Australia and NZ. You can feel the cool breeze coming off of the ocean.

Tomorrow is the longest and toughest ride yet in the tour and the 2nd or 3rd hardest day of the tour. The major climb is at the end of the day. Tune in again. Bill

No comments: